Sunday, April 19, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

Decisions: we make them every day. They range from what we are going to wear to what we want for dinner. Then, there are the decisions that can change our lives - what exactly do we want.

To me, that's one of the hardest choices I needed to make. In high school, I went from wanting to be a journalist to desiring an advertising career. Now, I have been working towards public relations and event planning. These career paths are all similar since they consist of writing, but they are also very different.

Writing is what drives me because I know words, thoughts, ideas and opinions fuel our world. If you can talk, speak, think, then you can write: Everyone has a different style. So now I want to ask you, what do you want? Are you doing what makes you happy?

Have you taken the right steps that will lead you to the path of happiness? I know those are difficult questions to answer because everyone has a different definition for the term "happiness." - but set all those other viewpoints aside. If you think about someone else's definition for too long, it will drive you insane. Then you will constantly be questioning yourself.

Think about your desires and your dreams: what makes your heart beat faster; what makes you smile and what makes your eyes sparkle?

Once you have figured that out, develop a plan to get there. You may have a destination, but it is pointless when you do not have a map to guide you. For example, that's why I started this blog: I want people to hear my thoughts and opinions. While you are reading this, I am trying to make my dream happen. I am constantly thinking about ways to re-invent myself and my writing.

I don't want to settle for something that does not meet my definition of happiness or success. Sure, I could be happy with what I have, but it is not "me."

My last comment is do not let fear overcome you. It happens to the best of us. I know there are other bloggers out there who have the same idea as me, but I cannot let that stop me. There will always be competition; it's just a fact of life. Just keep striving for your goals and eventually you will end up on the right path.

0 comments: